Tuesday, December 9, 2008

She Loves You

Quote from Beatles-discography.com: "The Beatles label in the States, Vee-Jay, started having money troubles in the summer and failed to pay their royalties on time. So Transglobal (who licensed the Beatles product in the States) pulled the plug and ordered them to cease manufacture and distribution of any and all records containing performances by The Beatles. That left Brian in a bit of a bind, because Capitol still weren’t interested in the Beatles’ music. So he ordered Transglobal to find a replacement label. That label was Swan.

The deal they signed this time around was a lot tighter than the Vee-Jay disaster, and was limited to just these two songs in single format. There was no deal on first refusal, either, so Brian retained the right to offer Capitol their next single.

When it originally came out in September ‘63 it hardly sold any. (It wasn’t helped by the lousy Cashbox press release which said: She Loves You is a robust romantic rocker that the crew works over with solid sales authority. Backing’s a catchy cha-cha-twist hand-clapper.) The famous New York DJ, Murray The K (alias Murray Kaufman) remembered: In late ‘63 they brought a record to me and mentioned the possibility that the Beatles might be coming to America, so I said, ‘Okay,’ and I put it on air. I had a record review contest on WINS at the time, where I’d play five new records each day. The audience would then vote on which records they liked best, and the winners of each week would be played next Saturday. And when I ran the Beatles in a contest with their record She Loves You, it came third out if five. But I still continued to play it for two or three weeks. But nothing happened. I mean, really no reaction. Absolutely nothing! Two months later I received an urgent call from my station manager in New York telling me ‘The Beatles are coming!’ ‘Fine,’ I said, ‘Get an exterminator.’"

The song still failed to enter the charts....a dud

No comments: